Providers are the Key
At the heart of our services are our volunteer providers. We work with medical professionals in all specialties to care for our patients—and we could always use more. Whether you’re retired and want to give back, or an established practitioner who wants to help the underserved in our community, we have a place for you.
- Nurse practitioner
- Physician’s Assistant
- Registered Nurses
It takes more than just our volunteer doctors to make our work move forward. We need medical professionals in other areas as well. Our team is actively looking for volunteers in the following areas:
- Certified Nursing Assistants: CNAs help our nurses with triage and the provider visit experience.
- Registered Nurses and LPNs: Nursing professionals assist our providers with patient care and treatment. They also provide triage, take vitals and medical history, and input records and medications.
- Mental Health Counselors: Many of our patients have mental health conditions that need counseling. Our counselors address a full range of mental health concerns, including anger management, substance abuse, depression, LGBTQ concerns, self-image issues, and stress. They also help with career counseling and relationship counseling.
- Pharmacists and Pharmacy Techs: These professionals prepare and process prescriptions at our Pawleys Island on-site pharmacy.
All Volunteers Welcome!
Not a Medical Provider? You Can Still Help!
At Smith Medical Clinic, we are always looking for more help. Volunteers can help in a wide range of areas, including those with healthcare training and those without.
While we’re always in need of more nurses, pharmacists, and medical providers, we also need people without medical training. Our non-medical volunteers help in ways like these:
- Receptionist: The receptionist makes our clinic feel warm and inviting and also helps with appointment scheduling.
- Scheduling: We need volunteers to answer questions and take messages about scheduling for our staff and other volunteers.
- Eyeglass Fittings: These volunteers help our patients select frames and measure them for a perfect fit.
- Medical Records: We must keep accurate medical records, which requires knowledge of medical terminology and ICD10 codes. Don’t have this knowledge? We can train you!
- Social Workers: Social workers address the non-health needs of our patients so they can connect with community resources as appropriate.
- Marketing and Events Planning: These volunteers assist us with planning our fundraising events and educational clinics. They also assist with newsletters and communication.
- Interpreter: We need volunteers fluent in English and Spanish to help us with our diverse population of patients.
- General Volunteer Work: We need volunteers to put together gift baggies, package OTC medications (such as acetaminophen and cough drops), and help us keep our tech up and running.
No matter your skill set, if you have a smile and a willingness to work, we have a volunteer opportunity for you.